Saturday, April 4, 2015

The Witches of Armour Hill - A Crowdfunding Journey

There are many vehicles one can ride in on the road of self-publishing. Some authors opt for the cheapest ride possible. They make the cover themselves and self-edit. While it might technically be a book, it's a ride that few readers want to go on. Some covers look like Bondo covered Pintos; the typos are potholes in the road. But many indie authors realize that readers want that literary ride to be all style and comfort. A slick cover grabs their attention. A polished manuscript makes sure the reader settles in and enjoys the author's story. But to get to this level of enjoyment, authors realize they need to pay someone to do this work for them.

Alyssa Cooper is one of those authors. Now that I've blathered on long enough, here's Alyssa to tell her story.


Hey everyone!

My name is Alyssa Cooper, and I want to talk to you about my next book series novel, The Witches of Armour Hill.
Margaret May Reis knows how strange she is; people have been telling her for years. At sixteen years old, though, Maggie begins to realize that strangeness is only half the story. Maggie isn’t just strange—she's a witch.
The Witches of Armour Hill is the story of a modern-day witch coven, struggling to maintain their magical culture in a world that has always betrayed them. This story is based a legend that’s well known in my native Ontario—it's believed that in 1840, a young woman from Peterborough was tried for witchcraft. When she was found guilty, the townspeople took her to the highest point in the city, and they burned her at the stake. The Witches of Armour Hill is the story of her descendants, of all the witches they couldn't burn.

The Witches of Armour Hill: Switch
The first installment of The Witches of Armour Hill, Switch, has already taken Wattpad by storm. With 12,000 views and almost 500 favourites, it's become a quick favourite on the free story-sharing platform. But read it while you can—once the finished version of Switch is published, the free version will disappear forever.

After allowing traditional publishers to handle my first three books, and finding myself sadly disappointed, I've moved on to self-publishing. I published four titles on my own last year, but Switch promises to be my biggest undertaking yet. That's why I've decided to crowdfund the publication, using Kickstarter to make this book the very best it can be.

I'm looking raise money for professional editing services, book design, marketing, and distribution - all of the things that can turn a good story into a truly great book. The Witches of Armour Hill's Kickstarter campaign launched on March 26, and will conclude on April 25. Make a pledge to earn cool prizes, and keep an eye on the campaign page for previews and updates that you won’t see anywhere else. Thanks so much for reading, and I hope you decide to join the coven someday!

******

The author of two novels, two collections, and countless short stories, I can always be found on my website: www.alyssacooper.ca.

I’m also found all over social media:
Twitter
Facebook
Goodreads
Tumblr

No comments: